Thursday 26 January 2012

WOODY, THAT'S FAR TOO MUCH

I've always said that Argos pretend they're cheap, but they're not. To be fair, they are handy. That's what they've got going for them. Now, when quality is important I've always preferred to shop elsewhere, like IKEA. Now before anyone says anything, I would like to point out that when it comes to the more affordable end of the market IKEA stuff is DEFINITELY the best designed and the best value for money.

Anyway, today I wanted to buy bunk beds, so I checked IKEA's website to see how much they would charge to have it sent to the island. When I typed in my postcode for the website to calculate my delivery cost, it came up with: 'invalid postcode', which quite obviously means that they are not interested in sending stuff here. 'Och, well then', I thought, 'I'll chust away down to the new Argos and buy one there.'

I found a suitable bed and ordered it (without mattresses). It was a delivery only item so it had to come from the mainland. It's a good job the thing was half price because this is what it all came to: bed - £99; Argos delivery to Eastgate, Inverness - £8.50; WOODY'S DELIVERY FROM INVERNESS TO STORNOWAY - £40! Yes, £40. FORTY, F-O-R-T-Y. Even the girl in the shop said that she felt 'evil' charging me Woody's levy.

Remember, this is a flat-packed item we're talking about.

I checked with Heb Haulage and they quoted me a few pence over £26 for the same thing. DR Macleod haven't got back to me with their quote yet, though the girl did say she didn't think it would be much less because she knew how much Woody's charge.

OK, here it is:
WOODY, THAT'S FAR TOO MUCH.
ARGOS, THIS IS GOING TO AFFECT YOUR BUSINESS.

No comments:

Post a Comment